Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
VERY YOUNG GIRLS Screening + Panel Discussion
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM (PDT)
Did you know we are in a crisis with the sex trafficking crisis locally, domestically and globally especially because of the growing prostitution problem? VERY YOUNG GIRLS is an exposé of the commercial sexual exploitation of girls in New York City as they are sold on the streets by pimps and treated as adult criminals by police. The film follows barely adolescent girls in real time, using vérité and intimate interviews with them, documenting their struggles and triumphs as they seek to exit the commercial sex industry. The film also uses startling footage shot by pimps themselves, giving a rare glimpse into how the cycle of exploitation begins for many women.
As in NYC, sexual exploitation happens everywhere around the world whether in urban or suburb settings. Where there is prostitution, there is illegal activity, sexual exploitation, violence, etc.
In fact, SEATTLE is considered one of the worst urban cities in the U.S. with sexual exploitation of hundreds of youth as well as boys and women. See: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/11/seattle_ranked_worst_city_in_u.php
Basic human/sex trafficking stats:
- 27 million humans enslaved today
- 1.8 million new children are coerced into the sex trade each year in the world.
- At least 100,000 (as much as 300,000) domestic youth are sexually exploited into prostitution each year in the U.S.
- 72,500+ sex buyers in 11 counties of Washington State according to report by Shared Hope International (report here)
- *Avg age of girls lured and coerced into prostitution is 13 yrs old
- *99% of prostituted people are lured, coerced, sexually exploited, and/or forced
- *50% murder rate in this population
FACEBOOK EVENT: http://www.facebook.com/events/168327886618088/
When & Where
HOPE FOR JUSTICE
ABOUT HOPE FOR JUSTICE | Hope for Justice is a human rights group with an emphasis to prevent human trafficking and restore sex trafficking survivors.
For more info, go to http://hopeforjustice.org and contact us at email@example.com
ABOUT CHICANOS/LATINOS FOR COMMUNITY MEDICINE | At the UW chapter, this student group strives to improve the health outcomes of the under-served minority populations in our communities through education and activism. For more info: http://huskylink.washington.edu/organization/communitymedicine